Friday, December 31, 2004

Hello New York

I am officially here and set up for the most part in the big city. Writing to you as I look out on Madison Ave with my computer set up on the windowsill in a mildly bootleg, but very much space saving manner. I have many thoughts to share on the first week in NYC that I am working on but those will come at a later point. I am slightly hungover this morning after the first drinking in a socially acceptable manner with more than just myself, for the first time in months. Went to a bar around Avenue B which was a bit of a frightening area. Nothing like the cozy confines of my room with a bottle of wine and the O.C. message boards. The first bar had no sign outside and a bouncer who laughed at my ID. I think I look attractive. They played ridiculously fast techno music, the likes of which I had not heard since spring '99, and also showed the extremely graphic scenes of Clockwork Orange above the bar. Soon I was sweating, the environment increasing my intoxication level just by proximity. I had no idea people still did E. Needless to say, we felt out of place without our skateboards and hoodies so we moved on to a bar that had photos on the wall of old wrestling action figures like Captain Lou Albano and the Iron Sheik. Someone please tell me that that is an acceptable form of decoration. I did catch myself at one point, secretly enjoying the fact that I was in NYC and paying $8 for a drink.

And so it begins.

Enjoy the following link to the Bostonian of the Year, Theo Epstein.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE SHOUT-OUT BULGY. TOO BAD THAT BAR DIDN'T HAVE A PICTURE OF YOUR TWIN, PETE DOHERTY, THE DUKE OF DORCHESTER

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home